HBC

Getting pumped up for football season

HBC


Cartoons

I’m not a fantastic artist, but I am horrible (read: couldn’t be worse) at mixing drawing and computers.  The lies in my head say that if I get a Wacom, some of this may be remedied, but it probably won’t help.  Anyway, here are a few recent cartoons that I’ve tried to edit with technology.

A self portrait of Rybo, a hype badge for Jadeveon Clowney going #1 to the Texans, and a homage to the new era of Star Wars (please don’t suck).

badge

clowney_badge

starwars_blue


Workbench Build – Rough Surfacing

Our wives were away, so a friend came over to help do some rough surfacing.  While there are still some laminations to do, I wanted to get the rough surfacing done so I’d know what I was working with.

The man, the myth…

20131121-224616.jpg

Make that the 3rd bag of sawdust since the build started.

20131121-224625.jpg

And a closer look at what the end top will look like.  Can’t wait.  Love the two walnut strips, though they are a little bent and I’m debating trying to clamp it out.  The 2 oak boards on the left side still need to be surfaced by hand, but it was getting late.

20131121-224636.jpg

20131121-224644.jpg


‘Hobbes, Grace & Peace’ Zine Release

Printed 50, if you want one shoot me an email – rybo@rybo.us.

20131121-224443.jpg

20131121-225820.jpg


Workbench Build – Rips & Laminations

Day 2 of the workbench build happened this Saturday. A friend at work was generous enough to give me his old Ryobi 10″ table saw when he upgraded to a Rigid. I decided to break it in by ripping the surfaced boards into ~2.7″ pieces for the top.

Going in, I knew that some of the boards were a little warped, but I thought it would be easier to straighten them out when they were ripped into smaller pieces.  Most of it isn’t that bad, and can be clamped out.  The two walnut pieces I ripped are worse than the others, so I’m not sure what’s going to happen with those.

The pieces had some variance in width, so I picked the smallest and ripped it in half, then used that size to rip the remaining boards.  This means that some of the pieces are over 2.7″ – I plan to just surface that later once they are glued up.

A friend stopped by to help me with the rip cuts – after all, each board is over 6′ long and holding them level throughout the entire cut is difficult. He snapped this while acting as my outfeed table.

20131117-221737.jpg

Post-cuts.  You can see the plan for the final top – 4 laminated oak pieces, a walnut accent strip, 4 more oak, another walnut accent, 4 more oak.

20131116-224651.jpg

Clamps, clamps, clamps.  I need more clamps.  I decided to start laminating the pieces two at a time, then I’ll rough surface them, glue them into 4’s, etc etc.

20131116-224704.jpg

20131116-224726.jpg

While waiting on the glue to dry, I decided to hang some of the proposal boards that have been sitting almost two years now.

20131116-224742.jpg

And a glimpse at my new shop dog, Titus.

20131117-221709.jpg

The Workbench Build